Thursday, April 25, 2013

Providing Water for your Bees !

 I use a 4 gallon chicken water can to provide water for the bees in my yards - especially if no open water sources are available nearby.  Notice the little blocks of wood in the trough.  As you may not know, bees do not know how to swim!  Many usually die by drowning.  To prevent this, I use blocks of wood or broken up granite rocks for them to land on as they drink.

I also add a few tablespoons of livestock mineral salt to aid with their nutrition.  They seem to really love this mixture and are lined up every day to get a drink.  Check out these close up pictures.

 I zoomed in a bit more on this picture ...
Notice their tongues sticking out onto the blocks of wood.  The wood seems to 'wick up' the water and makes it easier for them to drink.
As you can tell, it was a beautiful day here in Spokane with temperatures around 65 degrees F or so. 

Have a great  day !

No comments:

Post a Comment