Saturday, September 28, 2013

Feeding Trip to the Bee Yard

I use top feeders protected by what I call a 'feeding box'.  This box keeps the jar warm and it makes it possible to feed the hives without having to disturb them very much.  No opening the hives, no smoker and very FAST.  I took me about 5 minutes to feed these 5 hives.

Feeding Quart
The mixture is a 1:1 syrup mix with 8 to 10 drops of these essential oils:  Peppermint, Thyme and Lemongrass.  They LOVE this mixture and will eagerly eat this up unless there is a flow going that they would rather have.












3 Buckfast Colonies with wet supers on.
 These 3 had some 'wet supers' on from the last harvest to help them get a boost before the winter weather begins to set in.  They are all doing pretty well in this spot.

Inside the Feed Box


 Here is an inside view of the 'feeding box'.  I also use a screened vent hole to allow for air movement.   They have propolized it a bit.

Feeding Boxes with no top covers

I have filled each jar and left the top covers off so you can see how it looks.  It was fairly early so I had no 'flyers' or angry bees at all AND I was done in about 3 minutes or so.  Nice, quick and easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment