Saturday, May 7, 2016

Swarm Management in my Bee Yard

I've heard from many of my beekeeping buddies that their purchased Nucs, back in April, have really taken off with this current amazing nectar flow!  Lately, the weather has been beautiful and the flower bloom is fantastic. However,  this can have an unfortunate result.  The hive may build so quickly that they feel the 'swarm impulse' and build queen cells and take off!  

So, I read about this problem and its remedy:  Swarm boxes.  Here, I've suspended a box with some frames of drawn comb in a tree not far from the platform.  It is hung on a strong hook so I can quickly lower it at night if I get 'new renters' moved in from one of my hives.  "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure"
Hung on a tree about 12 feel up on a quick disconnect 
I sprayed the inside with my "Lemongrass lure" - just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment