Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Top Bar Hive Construction

Top Bar Hive Construction

Hello Everyone !

My wife thinks I'm kindofa scrounge/wood hoarder.  Well, I guess I am in some ways.

I occasionally find some pretty good/clean 3/4 to 1 inch pine that has been thrown away.  As you can see I 'glue lammed' these together for the side walls of my Top Bar hives.
Glue Lammed 1 by 5.25 inches or so

These measure about 10.3/4 inches by 40 inches long.  There is an angle cut of 30 degrees on each end.  This makes a parallelogram of each side wall.









End Wall Construction


Since our cuts are at 30 degrees - you can set your chop or radial arm saw to cut the end walls.  This piece needs to be flush with the side wall.  I used my pin nail shooter to gently 'tack it' into place.  Repeat for both ends.  You will need to piece in the bottom piece to enclose the box.






Both Walls are now attached

Here you can see how I attached the other wall.  Once I get everything pieced together I will  use a 2 inch staple gun (with a 1/2 inch crown) to secure the box together for good!









I am a big fan of using a Varroa Screen as I believe it  helps with these pests and the screen has the added benefit of keeping the hive ventilated during the warm summer months.  A nice and dry hive is a happy hive!  In the winter, I will close this from the bottom to prevent drafts.
Making the screen standoffs for the entrance

Here I used a 3/8ths  by 2 inch standoff for the screen.  I pinned it with my nail gun.











Ready to attach screen















Attaching Screen

By using the staple gun I can secure on end and gently pull the screen from the opposite side to make it nice and tight.











Landing Platform Cleat

I attached a cleat to the bottom of this hive   to better secure the screen, and to create a landing place for the bees to enter.  Once the season progresses, I have made some additional entrances.









I will have more later !




No comments:

Post a Comment