Saturday, February 20, 2021

Improving Plastic Foundation Acceptance

For many years I have had some challenges getting the bees to accept this type of foundation.  Sometimes it works just fine, others not so much.

What I have found that improves this - is to rub fresh beeswax on the plastic.  We've also melted some wax and brushed it on as well.  

I came up with an idea using old toilet paper rolls, plugging the bottom of the roll and pouring the wax in.  I let them cool and they become essentially a type of  'big crayon' for wax application.


The first step is to melt the wax.  I use a crock pot that I picked up at a yard sale for a buck.

I use an old crock pot

Then, I use my molds and do a two stage pour.  I pour a little bit at first letting it cool for an hour or so.

Later, I will top them off so they look like this.

Set to cool


Next, I open them up and peel back some of the cardboard tube.

Ready to peel back

Ready to apply to new foundation

Just rub on a little or a lot


Cheap and easy to make!  






No comments:

Post a Comment